Believe it or not, diabetes isn’t all bad. I make out that it is terrible and I hate it, but there are some perks. Every cloud (albeit a rather large cloud, probably pouring with rain!!) has a silver lining. Plus, you can dance in the rain…..!
Anyway, enough with the soppy quotes. Being diabetic, and having HI, has given me so many opportunities! I reckon the majority of my CV (when I finally get round to actually writing the damn thing) will be made up of the T1 opportunities I’ve had the honour of partaking in!
And some of the all time best people I know, and have known, are diabetic. Or have a sibling/son or daughter/or simply are just involved in the T1 world. I would never have met them had I not been diagnosed with it all.
So. Day 1 of diabetes blog week, subject: I can.
– I CAN talk in front of large groups of people from having given presentations about various aspects of life with T1/HI.
– I CAN cope with extremely long journeys from travelling up to hospital so much.
– I CAN drink a mini coke can in under 10 seconds, in my sleep!
– I CAN live with a chronic medical condition everyday AND kick its butt daily.
– I’ve found (I couldn’t find a way to make this point work when starting with ‘I CAN’ but it still counts!!) a passion, helping others with medical conditions like my own, which has lead me to find my dream career – a doctor!
– I CAN do and be whatever I want, whenever I like, because diabetes is just one piece of the puzzle that is me, it is not and will never EVER be the whole picture.